- A Day of Balance
- An Introduction to the use of Pilates for Neuro Physiotherapists
- Revise and Inspire Workshops
A Day of BalanceWORKSHOP: A Day of Balance
Learn all about how the vestibular system in the inner ear contributes to balance, what happens when it goes wrong and how to help challenge it. Follow this with a workshop on the wobble cushion: a versatile piece of equipment that creates an easy way to add instability to Pilates exercises.
PILATES for the VESTIBULAR SYSTEM
An introduction to the vestibular system and the role it plays in postural stability and balance, this workshop will give you ideas of how to challenge your Pilates clients a little differently. Suitable for Instructors with little or no experience of clients with vestibular issues.
PILATES on the WOBBLE CUSHION
Small, inexpensive and easy to transport the wobble cushion is a great addition to your Pilates class. The workshop will give you ideas for exercises that go beyond just standing on it!
This workshop will cover a basic introduction and explanation of the vestibular system and the role it plays in postural stability; as well as how to incorporate vestibular challenges into a Pilates class. It will also cover the topic of balance and how we can challenge our Pilates clients a little differently using small equipment.
This workshop is suitable for Pilates instructors who have little or no experience dealing with clients with vestibular issues. The topics covered are suitable for application to a ‘healthy' individual as well as clients with dizziness.
On completion participants should have:
- Gained a basic understanding of the vestibular system and the role it plays in postural stability.
- Gained a basic knowledge of common vestibular disorders and their symptoms.
- Been introduced to a range of exercises that challenge the vestibular system in healthy individuals as well as those who have ongoing dizziness.
- Increased knowledge of balance and the importance of challenging balance in Pilates classes
- Increased their repertoire of balance exercises to use in Pilates teaching
- Learnt of a variety of Pilates exercises that use the wobble cushion that add strength and stability challenge.
An Introduction to the use of Pilates for Neuro PhysiotherapistsWORKSHOP: An Introduction to the use of Pilates for Neuro Physiotherapists
This one-day workshop for physiotherapists will cover the basic principles and exercises of Pilates and their application to patients with neurological conditions.
This workshop is suitable for neurological physiotherapists with no previous Pilates training, but may also benefit those who have some Pilates training but wish to expand their knowledge.
On completion participants should be able:
- To understand the basic principles of Pilates.
- To understand the reasoning in applying these in the rehabilitation of the neuro population.
- To utilise a range of basic Pilates exercises and recognise the common problems with these exercises in this population.
- To have ideas for coaching points and facilitation techniques for teaching these exercises.
- To offer possible adaptations and alternatives to these exercises for this population.
Revise and Inspire WorkshopsWORKSHOP: Revise and Inspire Workshops
Pilates for Older AdultsCOURSE: Pilates for Older Adults
A one day course designed to equip you to accommodate older adults in your classes. This course includes a pre-course reading pack and the theory and practical sessions on the day.
This course will cover the theory related to aging and how this will impact on the teaching of Pilates exercise. It will also give you practical ideas for adaptations and alternatives that can be used for the over 65s.
On completion participants should have:
- Gained an understanding of the physiological and anatomical changes of ageing, in relation to Pilates.
- Gained a basic knowledge of medical conditions commonly associated with old age.
- Understood the considerations needed for planning and delivering Pilates for older people.
- Become equipped with adaptations for Pilates exercises for older people.
- Been introduced to new Pilates exercise ideas that would benefit older people.
Jenny Heron- MCSP, BSc (Hons) Physiotherapy, PGCE (Women's Health Physio)
Ante & Post Natal PilatesCOURSE: Ante & Post Natal Pilates
Pilates for the ShoulderCOURSE: Pilates for the Shoulder